Human Resources > Employment Opportunities
Police Officer - Entry level
Police Officer - Lateral
The City of Poulsbo and the Civil Service Commission is accepting applications for the position of Police Officer. Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their application packets.
Position Announcement: Click to view.
Compensation: The position is full-time (40 hours per week) with a starting salary of $34.56. The salary range is $32.62 – $37.74/hour, DOQ/E.
Benefits: Employees receive ten paid holidays per year, 96 hours of vacation (increases after 2 years) as well as 96 hours of sick leave accrual. After six months of employment, employees receive one floating holiday and after one year, two personal leave days are provided. Employees also receive an additional 1% longevity pay after five years, 2% after ten years, up to a 5% maximum. City of Poulsbo Police Officers are members of the Law Enforcement Officers and Fire Firefighters Retirement System (LEOFF) as well as a member of the Poulsbo Police Officers Association. The City pays 95% of medical/vision premiums, 100% of dental premiums for full-family coverage and 100% of life insurance premiums for a total of $1,456.68. The employee’s portion is $69.10 per month. The City also contributes $273.10 per month into a Health Reimbursement Account (HRA-VEBA) and provides a $45,000 life insurance policy. Educational incentive pay is provided for those employees who have 90 credit hours or an AA degree (2%), or a BA degree (4%).
Job Description and Minimum Qualifications: Please see attached
Examination: Testing will consist of an Oral Board exam. Applicants must earn at least a seventy percent (70%) passing score on the oral board exam in order to be certified for appointment.
Veteran’s Preference: Veteran’s Preference will be granted in accordance with State Law. Applicants claiming veteran’s preference must provide supporting documentation of eligibility, such as DD-0214 at time of filing application.
To apply: Qualified police officers are invited to submit a City Application, Resume and Cover Letter by May 19, 2017 to: City of Poulsbo, Attn: Human Resources/Poulsbo Civil Service Commission, 200 NE Moe St., Poulsbo, WA 98370 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The date for the Oral Board is scheduled for Thursday, May 25, 2017.
Contact information: Deanna Kingery, HR Manager/Civil Service Secretary, email@example.com or 360-394-9705.
The City of Poulsbo is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Volunteers In Police Service
Position: Police Volunteer – Volunteers in Police Service (VIPS)
Location: Poulsbo Police Department
Description of Duties:
- Police Volunteers patrol the city during the day in a specially marked vehicle and wear a readily identifiable uniform. Their main function is to observe, record, and report.
- Typically volunteers patrol in four hour shifts. During these patrols, volunteers perform vacation house checks, handicapped parking enforcement and general patrol. Typically a general patrol includes schools, neighborhoods, parks, and shopping areas. These may involve vehicle as well as foot patrol.
- In addition volunteers can be utilized for traffic control at special events or at traffic collisions, may assist in search and rescue operations, and may be assigned other applicable duties in support of the Police Department.
- Police Volunteers do not receive monetary compensation for their time.
- In order to become a Citizen Volunteer, an applicant must be 21 years of age, have no law violations in the last five years beyond a traffic citation, no felony convictions, and have a current drivers license (Washington is preferable). Additionally applicants need to be in good health with the ability to stand, walk, or sit for extended periods of time.
- The selection process includes the completion of an application; a background/drivers license check, the completion of 3 orientation rides, and an interview.
- Candidates who are accepted into the program are expected to perform one 4 hour patrol each week (16 hours monthly) and attend a monthly training meeting.
To be considered for this position, please submit a City Application to:
City of Poulsbo – Police Department
200 NE Moe St
Poulsbo, WA 98370
This position is open continuously.