City of Poulsbo Logo

Police Department > Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get a copy of a Poulsbo Police Report?

You may request a copy of a Poulsbo Police Report through our online portal. The report will be delivered to the requestor electronically. 

Copies of traffic reports are provided if your name appears on the report (driver, witness, owner, passenger); or upon verification that you are the registered legal owner of the vehicle or vehicles involved.

Copies of incident reports are considered for release upon completion of a Public Disclosure Request form. This includes victims, suspects and witnesses. A response to the request will be provided within five (5) business days. If the request is denied, the appropriate Revised Code of Washington (RCW) section will be cited.

Washington State Law and Poulsbo Police Department Policy regulate who may receive copies of police reports. In some instances your copy may be edited to withhold certain information pending disposition in the case, or for other reasons as prescribed by law.

I have property that is being held by the Poulsbo Police Department - How can I get it back?

The Poulsbo Police Department may hold property for several reasons:

  • Evidence in a criminal case
  • Safekeeping purposes
  • Found property

Regardless of the reason it is held, property will be released only to the legal owner and by appointment only. If property is being held as evidence in a criminal case and is legally returnable, written approval from the Prosecuting Attorney must be received by our office before we can release the property back to its owner.To make an appointment to pick up property or evidence, call the Police Department at 360-779-3113 (8:00am-3:30pm) and ask to speak with the Property/Evidence Specialist.

Where can I get a background check completed?

The Poulsbo Police Department can prepare a background check “clearance letter” for you if you are currently a resident of Poulsbo living within the city limits and if you have never been arrested by the Poulsbo Police Department. The fee for this letter is $15.00 per name plus $10.00 for notarization. You may make a request at the Poulsbo Police Department, 200 NE Moe Street, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00am and 4:30pm.

Where can I get information on my criminal history?

Criminal convictions are public record and a record of that information (or lack of convictions) is available from the Washington State Patrol Records Section. You may access this via their website: or you may use the Watch Program this will give you your past convicted history and up to a year of non-convicted history.

What are the restrictions for child car seats?

Click on the following link to be directed to the Washington Traffic Safety Commission for the latest:

What if I feel I was issued a ticket in error?

If you believe you were issued a parking or traffic citation in error, you may request a hearing before the Poulsbo Municipal Court Judge. It is at this hearing that you will be able to explain why you feel the ticket was issued incorrectly. You may reach the Poulsbo Municipal Court at 360-779-9846.

How can I find out if there are any Registered Sex Offenders living in my neighborhood?

By law, convicted sex offenders must register with the County Sheriff’s office in the County in which they reside. If an offender resides within the City limits of Poulsbo, the Sheriff’s office sends notification to the Poulsbo Police Department.

Sex Offenders are classified into one of three levels based upon the crime they were convicted of and their history.

Level 1

The vast majority of registered sex offenders are classified as Level 1 offenders. They are considered at low risk to re-offend. These individuals may be first time offenders and they usually know their victims.

Level 2

Level 2 offenders have a moderate risk of re-offending. They generally have more than one victim and the abuse may be long term. These offenders usually groom their victims and may use threats to commit their crimes. These crimes may be predatory with the offender using a position of trust to commit their crimes. Typically these individuals do not appreciate the damage they have done to their victims.

Level 3

Level 3 offenders are considered to have a high risk to re-offend. They usually have one or more victims and may have committed prior crimes of violence. They may not know their victim(s). The crime may show a manifest cruelty to the victim(s) and these offenders usually deny or minimize the crime. These offenders commonly have clear indications of a personality disorder.

You can search for registered sex offenders using any of the below websites:

How can I find out about local laws?

You can learn about local laws by searching the City of Poulsbo Municipal Code. Click on Poulsbo Municipal Code to begin your search.

What can be done about a vehicle that appears to have been abandoned or unsightly vehicles in my neighborhood?

Call 911 to report vehicles that appear to have been abandoned or parked in such a manner that they are a nuisance or obstruct normal traffic. An officer will be dispatched to investigate and take appropriate action.

The storage and retention of unauthorized junk vehicle(s) on private property is declared to constitute a public nuisance subject to removal and impoundment. The Police will investigate complaints and upon discovery of such nuisance will give notice to the last registered owner of record that a hearing may be requested before the mayor and that if no hearing is requested within 10 days, the vehicle will be removed.