City of Poulsbo Logo

Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement works in partnership with the citizens of Poulsbo to promote and maintain a safe and desirable living and working environment. We help maintain and improve the quality of our community by enforcing laws and codes targeted to solve specific problems within the community.

Code Enforcement function resides both within the City’s Planning and Economic Development Department and Police Department. We rely on complaints from the public to identify potential violations of codes. We investigate your complaint and determine whether a property owner violated our codes. Code Enforcement handles complaints regarding public nuisances, junk vehicles, sign violations, illegal clearing or dumping, critical area destruction, work without a permit, unapproved businesses, and other illegal activities.

Life-threatening emergencies and after-hours noise complaints should be reported to 911.

How to Make a Complaint

For neighborhood issues, such as potholes, graffiti, sidewalk issues, and litter, please use “SeeClickFix” found here

For all other concerns, submit a Complaint Form to the Public Works Department via email ( or by mail (200 NE Moe Street, Poulsbo WA 98370).

FYI. Your complaint does not always lead to an enforcement action. When we investigate, sometimes the owner has already fixed the problem, or we discover that the owner has done nothing wrong or that the activity is not a violation under our laws. Sometimes we may not be able to see the violation.

PLEASE NOTE:  Pursuant to the Washington State Public Records Act, the information provided on a complaint may be subject to public disclosure. You may file a complaint with or without providing your personal identifying information. If you provide your personal identifying information, you may request that the City exempt such information from disclosure under the Public Records Act IF you are a victim or witness and disclosure would endanger the life, physical safety or property of you or any person. The City can never guarantee confidentiality. Your information is not confidential and must be disclosed if you are identified as a witness in an administrative or court proceeding, or if otherwise required by an administrative or court order.

What Information Do We Need? 

  1. The property address of the potential violation.
    • If the officer cannot find a potential violation, we cannot investigate or act to correct it.
    • If you’re unsure of the address, give us a description of the location, such as SE corner of Viking Ave and SR 305.
    • If the violation is inside a house, apartment or building, our officer will need to be able to get inside to see it. Usually this means we need permission from the unit’s occupant or the building’s manager.
  2. Your name and number. We use your contact information in case we have follow-up questions and to tell you about the outcome of your complaint. If you choose, you can submit a complaint anonymously or request your identity remain confidential.
  3. Description of the possible violation.
    • Where is it on the property?
    • What is it?
    • How long has it been happening?
What Should I Do If I am Cited?

We investigate potential code violations after we receive a complaint. If someone complained about your property and we found a violation, you may be contacted by the Community Service Officer or you may receive a letter in the mail.

If you receive a letter or other enforcement document, read it completely! It will explain:

  • Why you are being contacted by the City
  • What you need to correct
  • Any fines or penalties you may owe
  • How much time you have to fix the problem

Make sure you contact the Community Service Officer right away, so he can work with you throughout the correction process. The community services officer may be able to assist you options and resources.