What is the Hearing Examiner?
Local governments in Washington State have the option of hiring or contracting with a hearing examiner to conduct required quasi-judicial hearings. A hearing examiner is an appointive officer who acts in a manner similar to a judge and typically is an attorney. The basic purpose of having a hearing examiner conduct these hearings is to have a professionally-trained individual make objective quasi-judicial decisions that are supported by an adequate record and that are free from political influences. The City of Poulsbo utilizes the hearing examiner system for certain land use decisions, such as subdivisions, variances, and shoreline permits as well as appeals and various other decisions.
The purpose of a public hearing is for interested people to provide the Hearing Examiner with information and testimony on the subject for which the hearing was convened. Notification of the hearing is published in the newspaper of general circulation, as well as being posted at the project site and at certain official public notice locations. The public hearing is normally an official “on-the-record” hearing which allows the Hearing Examiner to obtain data that will be considered in his/her deliberations following the close of the hearing.
After the meeting, the Hearing Examiner reviews all pertinent data, letters, and testimony from the hearing and issues a written decision. The decision is mailed to all parties of record, which includes anyone who has submitted written comments during the comment period or who testifies during the public hearing
opens in a new windowPublic Hearing Notice for October 04, 2022opens PDF file (click on text)
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, public meetings are being held as a hybrid virtual/in-person meeting at the web address and call-in number noted below and at Poulsbo City Council Chambers, 200 NE Moe Street, Poulsbo, Washington. To watch the recording please opens in a new windowclick here.
Agenda Item 1: Winslow Ridge PRD and Pre-Plat
- opens in a new windowStaff Reportopens PDF file
- opens in a new windowExhibit A – Applicationopens PDF file
- opens in a new windowExhibit B – Project Narrative opens PDF file
- opens in a new windowExhibit C – Plan Setopens PDF file
- opens in a new windowExhibit D – Landscapingopens PDF file
- opens in a new windowExhibit E – Home Siting Plan and Home Designopens PDF file
- opens in a new windowExhibit F – Tree Retentionopens PDF file
- opens in a new windowExhibit G – Stormwater Documentsopens PDF file
- opens in a new windowExhibit H – Trafficopens PDF file
- opens in a new windowExhibit I – SEPA Reviewopens PDF file
- opens in a new windowExhibit J – Public Noticingopens PDF file
- opens in a new windowExhibit K – Public Commentsopens PDF file
- opens in a new windowExhibit L – Engineering Department Memoopens PDF file
Addendum to the Planning Commission Staff Report and Exhibits
- opens in a new windowAddendum 1: September 29, 2022opens PDF file
- opens in a new windowAddendum 2: October 6, 2022opens PDF file
Hearing Examiner Decision ( opens in a new windowNotice of Decisionopens PDF file )