What is An Annexation?
The intent of the Growth Management Act is the area identified in Poulsbo’s UGA be annexed to the city and be developed to urban densities. Procedures and requirements for annexing territory to the city are provided in Poulsbo Municipal Code opens in a new window18.220 PMC.
Pursuant to RCW 35A.14, cities in the State of WA are given a number of mechanisms to annex unincorporated areas. Among those methods are the following:
- Election Method. An annexation request may be initiated by the city council or by petition of property owners requesting the matter be put to a vote pursuant to RCW 35A.14.015 through 35A.14.110.
- Direct Petition Method. An annexation request may be initiated by petition method by property owner initiation pursuant to RCW 35A.14.120 through 35A.14.150.
- All other procedures in RCW 35A.14 also apply to annexations to the City.
Most annexations to Poulsbo utilize the Direct Petition Method. Below is a summary of the review process:
- Preliminary application meeting.
- Survey of Area Properties Owners.
- Letter of Intent to Annex (10%).
- Initial Meeting with Council. If authorization is not granted for circulation of the petition (60% Petition), a substantially similar proposal may not be proposed for one year.
- Community Notification.
- Community Meeting.
- 60% Petition Circulation.
- Submittal of Petition.
- Determination of Sufficiency.
- Notice of Intent.
- City Council Public Hearing.
- Ordinance Adoption
- Paperwork Filed with State.