2024 Comprehensive Plan Update
Background and Purpose
The Comprehensive Plan is the centerpiece of local planning . Like a business plan, the Comprehensive Plan provides the framework for how our community will grow. The Comprehensive Plan is amended annually through the “docket process” which provides citizens an opportunity to suggest changes to the Comprehensive Plan. In addition to annual amendments, the Growth Management Act (RCW 36.70A) requires counties and cities to conduct a mandatory “periodic update” at least once every eight years. The City’s next periodic update is due in June 2024.
There are three primary purposes of the update:
- Review plan and regulations and bring them up to date with any relevant changes to state law and the Growth Management Act (GMA)
- Respond to changes in land use and population; and
- Address any local preferences or needs.
Public Participation Opportunities/Calendar
In the meantime, if would like to be notified of future public participation opportunities by email, we welcome you to sign up here.
- Current Poulsbo Comprehensive Plan
- Puget Sound Regional Council – Vision 2050
- Kitsap Regional Coordinating Council – Land Use Planning
- Kitsap County – Buildable Lands Report
- RCW 36.70A – Washington State Growth Management Act
- WA Department of Commerce – GMA Periodic Update
- WA Department of Commerce – Keeping Your Comprehensive Plan and Development Regulations Current
- WA Department of Commerce – Short Course on Local Planning
- MRSC – Comprehensive Planning
- MRSC – Comprehensive Plan Update Process
- Association of Washington Cities – GMA Comp Plan Conversation Starters